Monday, May 18, 2009

Happy Childrens Day - Feliz Dia De Los Hijos

Espanol mas abajo




Over the past few nights I found myself awake in bed. Reflective I guess, I spent more time thinking about my daughter, especially since mother’s day. I am not very big on Holiday’s; I feel that they benefit big business more than families. These stores put a strain on relationships as they market themselves as helping you not feel guilty and that you should buy something to show your love. Humbug…

I will get to my daughter in a minute or two.

I always knew at some point I would be a father, it was never planned, my wife got pregnant after we got married, imagine that!!!...now a days it’s the other way around. I just didn’t want to have children out of wedlock or for it to be a condition of marriage.

I also knew that I would be a good father, as I cannot state if this holds true, only those close to me and my daughter can say for certain. I only hope that I have been and that I can be. But let’s not kid ourselves good can be translated in many ways, so that’s an open question based on interpretation.

My mother passed away about a year and a half ago, and I can say she was a great mother, although only having one, comparison can be difficult. But seeing other families, and comparing based on conversations I can safely say, I was blessed to have been borne by her. We had our ups and downs, but she never gave up on me. Ever…

That reminds me of another woman, my sister…I wish I could say that my nephew was the darling of young man, but very far from that. Granted he could have been worse, but thank goodness for my sisters patients. There are other factors which led to his upbringing that has a sour taste to the tale but, in time things will either turn out worst or it will get better. In this case it has gotten much better.

Parenting is difficult, initial it’s joyous. My father said to me one day, when I was 15 years old “One day when you become a father you will understand” I don’t recall the reason that lead to the saying but I can only imagine it was something that I did….

When my daughter was born, I understood what my father meant. Many things come to mind, security, food, shelter, schooling. Love…Protection….Responsibility… There are many other words, these are but a few.

Needless to say, that my daughter gave me many joyful moments, that is until she turned 16…blahhhhhh. Its worst than the terrible twos…MUCH Worst…but its part of a phase, we all go through it.

We feel that we know best, that we can be responsible and that we are grown, needless to say, we as young Mr. & Mrs. knows it all is always wrong. I lost a few hairs during that phase, I mean it was going anyway, but we didn’t need to speed up the process.

There were moments I lost my temper and patience…many times I did not sleep, moments that I asked myself “Why in world would I want to have kids”. I am currently scanning my family pictures to preserve them, as I look at the pictures of the smile she had while growing up and the moments either my daughter with me or with her mother…or with anyone in the family, I see why I had a daughter.

You see it’s really simple, it really does add meaning to life, an extension to one self. It fills you, and yes moments that it drains you but that’s just the way it is. You can’t appreciate the sunshine without cloudy days.

At home I must have about six Bibles, don’t ask why so many, anyhow since I am in Argentina I didn’t bring one with me, duh. But I found one online. There is a parable that I was always fond of and it’s the story of a Sheppard that has 100 sheep’s, one goes astray and the Sheppard doesn’t notice until much later. He does the unthinkable and leaves the 99 behind and goes after that one sheep. Why would he do that?

Folks let’s not get funny here and don’t say it’s because it was the fat one and it would have brought him double at the market….

My mother never gave up on me…I was once that lost sheep and she always came for me, somehow she was always there. My sister is always there for her son…

I will always be there for my daughter…she may be my only daughter and many would say that it’s only natural. But, parents should never give up on their children, even if it means sending them to jail to save them…

Granted, I have not had all of the pitfalls that parents with problem children have…But, somewhere the change must be made.

Going back to mother’s day…

My daughter is going through a loss of her own. One that I cannot help her on, one that I wish it was mine…But there is time and in her loss there is a chance for healing, still...and it goes both ways. Today is always a good day to heal. I don’t expect most of you that may take the time to read this, to understand and for that I am sorry.

Parenting is a balancing act, fathers and mothers, most times must stand on a fence and watch their children grow and figure out when to step in and when not to. Many times our children will disappoint us, sometimes they will make us proud. We don’t have the luxury of telling our children “You will be my child only when you do well, and when you don’t I disown you”. Parents have to understand no matter how old their children get there will be times when they will just be their babies and when they will be their son and daughter.

I will never say, I will have to suffer my loses…even if I have 99 more children, one will never be sacrificed.

Happy Children’s Day…







Durante las últimas noches me encontré despierto en la cama. Reflexivo pienso, pasé más tiempo pensando en mi hija, especialmente desde el día de las madres. No soy muy grande en los días de fiestas; Siento que benefician a los grandes negocios más que a las familias. Estos almacenes ponen una tensión en las relaciones mientras que se ponen como ayudando a ustedes no sentirse culpable y que usted debe comprar algo para demostrar su amor a algún familiar. Mucha CACA…

Hablare de mi hija en un minuto o dos.

Sabía siempre que en un cierto punto que sería padre, nunca fue planeado, mi esposa se embarazo después de que nos casamos, imaginasen eso!!! … hoy en días es al revez. No quise tener hijos fuera del matrimonio o para que sea una condición de la unión.

También sabía que sería un buen padre, pues no puedo indicar si éste es verdad, sólo ésas personas cerca de mí y mi hija pueden decir por seguro. Espero solamente que haya sido y que pueda serlo. Pero no entremos en bromas, ser bueno se puede traducir en muchas maneras, de modo que sea una pregunta que basa en la interpretación.

Mi mama falleció hace un año y medio, y puedo decir que ella era una gran mama, aunque solamente tuve una, para comparar pueda ser un poco difícil. Pero viendo otras familias, y comparando basado en conversaciones puedo decir con seguridad, yo fui bendecido por haber sido nacido por ella. Teníamos nuestros altos y bajos, pero ella nunca se rindió por mí. Nunca…

Esto me recuerda a otra mujer, mi hermana… yo deseo poder decir que mi sobrino era el querido de hombre joven, pero muy lejos de eso. En realidad él podía ser peor, pero gracias a la paciencia de mi hermana no es asi. Hay otros factores que llevaron a su educación que tiene un gusto amargo a este cuento pero, con tiempo las cosas o resultarán peor o conseguirá a mejorar. En este caso se ha puesto mucho mejor.

Siendo padres es difícil, inicialmente es feliz. Mi papa me dijo un día, cuando era 15 años “un día cuando sea un padre entenderás” no recuerdo la razón que lo llevo a ese refrán pero puedo imaginarme que era algo que hice….

Cuando mi hija nació, entendí lo que mi papa quiso decir. Muchas cosas vienen por importar, seguridad, alimento, abrigo, enseñanza. Protección… amor…….Responsabilidad… Hay muchas otras palabras, éstas son algunos.

Innecesario decir, mi hija me dio muchos momentos alegres, digo es hasta que ella cumpliera los 16 anos… blahhhhhh. Es peor que los dos anitos terribles… MUCHO peores… pero es parte de una fase, todos pasamos a través de ella.

Sentimos que sabemos mejor, que podemos ser responsables y que somos grandes, innecesario decir, nosotros como Jóvenes Señores & señoras sabelotodo es obviamente incorrecto. Perdí algunos pelos durante esa fase, entiendo que igual los iba a perder, pero no había que acelerar el proceso.

Había momentos que perdí mi temperamento y paciencia… muchas veces no dormí, los momentos que me pregunte “porqué en el mundo querría tener hijos”. Estoy actualmente escaneando mis fotos de familia para preservarlos, pues cuando miro las fotos de la sonrisa que ella tenía mientras crecía y los momentos de mi hija conmigo o con su mama… o con cualquier persona en la familia, yo vi porqué tenía una hija.

Ves, es realmente simple, realmente agrega el significado a la vida, una extensión de uno mismo. Lo Llena, y sí, hay momentos en que te cansa pero es apenas la manera que es. No puede apreciar el sol sin días nublados.

En mi casa debo de tener cerca de seis biblias, no me preguntes porqué tantos, de todos modos puesto que estoy en la Argentina yo no traje ni uno conmigo, duhhh. Pero encontré uno en línea. Hay una parábola que siempre me encariñaba y es la historia de un Pastor que tiene 100 ovejas, una se pierde y el Pastor no lo nota hasta mucho más adelante. Él hace algo increíble y deja a los 99 detrás y se va detrás de esa oveja. ¿Por qué él haría eso?

Por favor no vayamos con bromas aquí y no me digas que es porque la oveja era la más gorda y el Pastor habría ganado doble por él en el mercado….

Mi mama nunca se dio por vencida por mí… yo una vez era esa oveja perdida y ella vino por mí, ella estaba siempre de alguna manera ahí. Mi hermana igual está siempre allí para su hijo…

Estaré siempre allí para mi hija… ella puede ser mi única hija y muchas dirían que es simplemente natural. Pero, los padres nunca deben darse por vencido por sus hijos, incluso si significa que ellos lo envíen a la cárcel para salvarlos, asi sea…

Concedo, no he tenido todas las trampas que algunos padres con niños de problemas tienen… pero, en alguna parte el cambio debe ser realizado.

Volvemos al día de las madres…

Mi hija está pasando por su propia pérdida. Uno que no puedo ayudarle, uno que desee que fuera el mío… pero hay tiempo y en su pérdida hay ocasión para curar, aun… y va de ambas maneras. El hoy es siempre un buen día para curar. No espero que la mayor parte de ustedes que tomen el tiempo para leer esto puedan entender y por eso yo lo siento.

Ser Padres es un ejercicio de equilibrio, los padres y las madres, la mayoría de las veces deben colocarse en una cerca y mirar a sus hijos crecer y adivinar cuando entrar en sus vidas y cuando no.

Muchas veces nuestros hijos nos decepcionarán, a veces ellos nos harán orgullosos. No tenemos el lujo de decir a nuestros hijos “será mi hijo solamente cuando haces bien, y cuando no, no somos tus padres”. Los padres tienen que entender no importa que viejo lleguen sus hijos llegaran épocas en que siempre serán sus bebés y en épocas solo serán su hijo o hija.

Nunca diré, yo tendré que sufrir mis perdidas… incluso si tengo 99 más hijos, uno nunca será sacrificado.

Feliz Día de los niños…

1 comment:

Forehead..hehe said...

I LOVE IT... <3 bendicion.