Thursday, December 25, 2008

1962 Remember When…


I have a crazy habit of saving things…Letters, post cards, Christmas cards, hell even hand written notes.

I do that because if someone has taken the time to write a few words to me, then it’s important and I value the time that they took to do this.

Anyhow, as I was putting some things away in an old trunk, I decided to see some of the cards that I no longer recognized and I found a B-Day card from my sisters that summarized all the events that occurred in the year of my birth.

I guess I don’t have to tell you what year that was.

As I thumb through the pages I found a section called “1962 COST OF LIVING”…So, here I go…I hope it puts things in perspective…

LIVING
New House…………………………………………………………12,550.00
Average Income………………………………………………$5556.000 per year
New Car………………………………………………………………$2924.00
Average Rent………………………………………………………$110.00 per month
Tuition to Harvard University……………………………$1520.00 per year
Movie Ticket……………………………………………………………$1.00 each
Gasoline…………………………………………………………………0.28¢ per gallon
United States Postage Stamp…………………………………0.04¢ each

FOOD
Granulated Sugar………………………………………………0.89¢ for 10 pounds
Vitamin D Milk……………………………………………………$1.04 per gallon
Ground Coffee………………………………………………………0.85¢ per pound
Bacon……………………………………………………………………0.69¢ per pound
Eggs………………………………………………………………………0.32¢ per dozen
Fresh Ground Hamburger………………………………0.40¢ per pound
Fresh Baked Bread……………………………………………0.21¢ per loaf

No comments: