Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Bible

The Bible is a collection of texts that has inspired and influenced many people throughout history. It is a series of books that has sparked debates and discussions around the world. There are two main versions of the Bible: The Protestant version, which consists of sixty-six books, and the Catholic version, which includes seventy-three books, seven of which are called the deuterocanonical or "second law" books by Catholics and are referred to as the Apocrypha by Protestants. Because they considered these texts to be outside the canon of accepted scripture, Protestants referred to these books as the Apocrypha, which means "hidden books."

The Bible holds a special significance to me, beyond just being a collection of pages, chapters, verses, and words that many believers read in search of meaning and answers to their questions. It is a source of insight into history and politics, and it provides biographies of people who have shaped religion, humanity, and history. The texts describe nature and the concept of God in a poetic way and offer guidance on a range of topics, including relationships, family, money, and code of conduct. The Bible also provides advice on how to treat loved ones with respect and love, and it offers rules for both social and private life. It emphasizes the importance of the individual within the community and the need for mutual respect and understanding. Overall, the Bible is a valuable resource that has shaped my understanding of the world and my place in it.

The Bible consists of two main sections, the Old Testament, and the New Testament, and reading them helps me understand the value of both. The texts provide guidance on love and living a better life, no matter what religion I follow. The Old Testament includes a history of the world and the expansion of people, as well as rules of conduct and the Ten Commandments. It also has biographies of remarkable individuals, such as Job and Esther, and stories of kings like Saul, David, and Solomon. There are also books about prophets, including Jeremiah and Isaiah, which contain predictions and warnings of future events. Additionally, the Old Testament includes books of poetry, wisdom, and prophecy, as well as the book of Ecclesiastes and the Book of Songs. The Prophet's books offer messages to future generations about Christ and the fate of humanity. Overall, the Bible has shaped my understanding of the world and my place in it.

The New Testament of the Bible includes the story of Christ, as well as accounts of the apostles and their work spreading Christianity. It also includes letters from Paul to the churches, written during a time of persecution, on how to be a good Christian. All these stories are included in the same Bible. I have a special relationship with the Bible. Growing up in New Jersey with parents of Puerto Rican descent, Spanish was my first language and the only book we had in Spanish was the Bible, given to me by a pastor whose name I can only remember as "Hermano Suarez." I asked my father, who had only a seventh-grade level education, to teach me to read Spanish from the Bible. He sat me down at the kitchen table with a pad and pencil and a burning candle and taught me the alphabet and how to construct words in Spanish. He also explained the use of accents and the importance of language in expressing our inner thoughts. I learned to read Spanish at the kitchen table under the light of a flickering candle, with the words of the Bible illuminating my understanding of the language.

Growing up, I had a strong impression of the Bible as a large book with bold letters and beautiful photographs of the Holy Land and Michelangelo's paintings and sculptures in the Vatican. I was fascinated by the stories it contained, including those of Samson, Gideon, the Angel Gabriel, Abraham and Isaac, Joseph and Israel, and King David. At the age of twelve, I converted to Protestant, evangelical Christianity, and this marked a shift in my understanding of faith beyond just prayer. Over the past 37 years, the Spanish reading lessons I received from my father at the kitchen table have helped me in my studies and work in Latin America. These lessons also allowed me to deepen my understanding of religion and the concepts of good and evil, light and darkness, and love and hate. To this day, I own six Bibles and have a small library at home, including the tattered Bible that my father taught me to read in Spanish. Although it may not be as visually appealing as many of the other books on my shelves, it is the one that holds the most sentimental value to me. In fact, I have only ever read the Bible in Spanish.


No comments: