Thursday, October 17, 2013

Mama Lucy - Malia Essay

Malia Colon
Patricia McDonald
ENC 1101/Narrative Essay
30 June 2009
Mama Lucy
            Mama Lucy, my grandmother, was the greatest woman alive. She could do just about anything. She was the person that I wanted to be like when I was a little girl. She could cook, clean, had a big heart, tell funny stories, and was an amazing dancer. All the ladies in our family including those who were older than her looked up to her. She was the third youngest child out of twelve children. She had three children, six grandchildren, and three great grandchildren. I am the third grandchild from her eldest son, but the closest to her because I was partially raised by her.
Mama Lucy always had funny stories about when she was a younger, which we all knew was more exaggerated than what really happened. She always used to brag about how strong she was by showing everyone her biceps. One story was about how she was a cop in her early years and how she used to take down the bad guys by herself. As children, we used to believe all her stories but as we got older, we learned that she was not a cop at all, but a meter maid in New Jersey. No one had the heart to tell her we knew so she continued to tell the story over to our cousins. She always had everyone laughing.
My grandma was known for her great cooking. She made the best Puerto Rican food anyone has ever tasted. Her food was always full of flavor, and she always made it quick. When I used to get out of school, she would make sure she had food ready on the stove before she went to work. She used to cook a big pot of food everyday because family members would stop by the house to eat. She never knew who was coming but she knew that someone would be coming. When she came home late at night, the food would be gone or almost gone.
My grandma was a fanatic for a clean house. She hated any kind of mess or dirt in the house. She used to routinely get up around noon and start cleaning the house about 5 days a week. No dust could be found anywhere in the house because she was constantly cleaning everything. If someone was pouring a drink and spilled the tiniest bit on the counter, she would be there to make sure that they wiped it up right away. As a child, I hated it but I definitely appreciated it.
Even though Mama Lucy was not the oldest of her siblings, she took care of each one of them as if she was. If one of her brothers was sick, she would be right over his house to make him soup and give him medicine. If anyone in the family needed money, even if she really didn’t have it, she would find a way to make sure she could get it. When I was 18 years old, I had sciatica on my right side and was not able to walk for about a month. She took off work to take me to the doctor every day, gave me baths, and carried me to the restroom. She was always there when anyone needed her.
My grandmother was a hard worker but she played even harder. Every Friday night, she would get off work around 5pm. She would go to her hairdresser, who was also a family friend, come home to get dressed up, then go to bingo at 7pm. After bingo, she would go to the Cuban-American Club where she danced all night until about 2am. She loved to dance to Spanish music. She was the person who taught me how to dance merengue, salsa, and bachata. One night at home, I was in my room across the house and could hear loud reggaeton music coming from her room. I wanted to see why she was playing that kind of music because she didn’t normally play it. When I got to her room, she had her back to me and was shaking her behind like crazy. I kept quiet because I was enjoying watching her. She turned around to see me standing there watching her and stopped dancing immediately but jumped because I had frightened her. It was such a funny moment that I still laugh about it today.

In 2006, Mama Lucy went for cosmetic surgery on her eyelids, but unfortunately during the procedure, her heart stopped. She was able to be revived but stayed in a coma for three months and woke up in a vegetative state. As her family, we had hope and kept her in that state for about a year. She passed away in September of 2007.  It was the hardest thing I ever had to deal with in my life. Everyone who knew her could tell you what a blessing it was to have known her. I do not dwell on her death but appreciate the life that she led. She was such a strong woman and continues to influence my life every day. I think about her all the time and miss her very much, but she still manages to put a smile on my face every day. 

No comments: